We seek DEDICATED caregivers to help make a TREMENDOUS difference in the lives of highly functioning adults with differencing learning abilities. In this role, Staffers help clients to develop key life skills and help them increase their quality of life by engaging them in the community as they so choose. Be a WORLD CHANGER by helping wonderful people in your community!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Our Direct Support/Community Mentors are specifically responsible for the following;
- Working closely with families of adults with developmental differences.
- Provide supports in connecting people with integrated activities in the community.
- Collaborate with clients to plan interesting weekly activities (example: attend various community sponsored events through Parks and Recreations, visiting museums, restaurants, bowling, sports/music events, etc.).
- Assist clients with daily living activities (example: grocery shopping, scheduling appointments, communication building exercising, travel training, provide coaching on money management and safety procedures, etc.).
- Assist clients to develop life skills in their own home, as well as build skills within community settings (e.g. travel training, street safety skills, shopping, money managements, etc.).
- Attend quarterly Agency meetings in person.
- Complete any expired training annually (example: First Aid/CPR, Bloodborne Pathogens, etc.);
- Otherwise show proof/certificate of completion if done within another Agency
- Submit weekly reports, timesheets and mileage documentation online.
- Attend weekly check-in conference calls with their assigned team leader.
- Although permitted, Agency staff are not required to work on major Holiday’s or inclement weather.
- All staff must successfully complete a background check.
- As an attempt to match clients and staff appropriately, staff are required to meet with a potenital client prior to receiving a confirmed assignment.
- Staff must also attend a new-hire orientation in the Bowie Office prior to employment assignment.
- Complete all State and Agency online trainings prior the start of work.
- All Permanent employees must sign a 1 year “Service Commitment” for the first year of employment.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Our Community Mentors/Life Skills Trainers must be willing to accompany clients to appointments and various outings.
- Must have a valid driver's license, auto insurance and reliable transportation if you are using your personal vehicles with clients; otherwise MUST be willing to travel (with) individuals on public or paratransit services.
- Able to use community resources to develop weekly activity schedules.
- Have patience and good problem-solving skills.
- Ability to navigate basic computer applications, fax machine and/or general smart phone.
- Must have an Associate’s Degree or equivalent experience supporting individuals with disabilities.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must demonstrate excellent English language and writing communication skills.
- Pass background checks (State and Medicaid), a potential drug test and reference checks will be performed prior to hire.
- Occasional lifting (50-75 pounds) – varies by client
Salary: Starting $12.00 -$13.00 per hour depending on client needs and location